跳到主要内容

图书馆的历史

Gonville & Caius College has possessed its own books ever since its founding as Gonville 大厅 in 1348/9, and they have been kept in a purpose-built library since 1441. It is estimated that over 350 manuscripts survive from the medieval library, often in their original bindings - this would make it the largest surviving medieval college library in the University.  Most of these manuscripts were given to the 学院 by its earliest Fellows, and some of them originally came from the great monastic foundations. The whole collection was then consolidated and expanded by our second founder, Dr John Caius, who had the books catalogued for the first time in 1569. Caius was an ardent humanist whose contact with Italy enabled him to acquire many examples of the new learning, including medical works in Greek and a Hebrew Bible. We now have over 700 manuscripts, mostly from before 1500, including illuminated Books of Hours and Psalters.

重要的进一步遗赠从威廉·布兰斯韦特,硕士1607年至1619年,谁的精库神学,哲学和古典文学包括60本书印刷1520之前(在所有我们有大约100本书1500年以前的印刷)来了。早期的图书馆位于上面什么现在直接结合大三房和十七世纪,直到链式库,放置在书架上的书脊柱向内。第一个图书管理员被任命为1629年在十七和十八世纪我们对医学和法律书籍类别进一步扩大,从十九世纪起,图书馆书籍,目前系统性地获取研究员和本科生可能需要。

在19世纪50年代高校图书馆搬迁至毗邻三一学院的南部边界的网站。 ESTA成为著名的内库,并通过M.C.继续安置在1996年的手稿和早期印刷书籍,直到1909年,以恩惠门罗使邻近内库的旧食堂被改装为一个阅读室和被用作ESTA学生图书馆1996年直至另行房间被添加为扩大收集。当梦露的房间,并达成新的位置上,下阅览室能力是寻求图书馆。

在1996年夏季高校图书馆终于搬迁跨通道进入参众两院通过建筑设计C.R.科克雷尔,最初是为1840年新的大学图书馆,以及由乡绅法律图书馆从20世纪30年代占据。它于1997年7月正式对外开放。

2006年10月的老图书馆更名为低工作图书馆和图书馆成了上库。

一楼包含了存档和下库。由后者ESTA约900个手稿,在新设计的情况下,和26,000他们已故的詹姆士一世时期的书架早期印刷书籍的,从内库移动。上图书馆在二楼,包含约60000标题(书籍,乐谱,CD和参考书),一些期刊,工作人员办公室和大约100名读者空间的工作集合。在地下室被发现在办公室的电脑,学生电脑室,图书馆商店(包含储备库存,储备杂志和一个小档案)。

在图书馆的历史还注意到可能会在小册子凯斯被发现和科克雷尔:一个图书馆(剑桥,1997年)的改造和卷三,四和学院的约翰·维恩传记历史八。